Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler

"Let the good times roll!"

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Taste of NOLA in the Ham

So, usually I go back home to New Orleans about once a month. Well since 2010 started, I’ve been to NOLA about twice a month due to playoff games, the Super Bowl, Mardi Gras and a work retreat. So needless to say I’ve have been very well fed this year.

Last time I was home I was lucky enough to dine at some of my favorite restaurants – dinner at Jacque-Imo’s, lunch at Commander’s Palace (can we say 25 cent martinis?) and Galatoire’s – and show some Birmingham residents the taste of New Orleans.

It gave me an interesting perspective as I got to compare and relate Creole food and New Orleans restaurants to what is available in Birmingham. So it got me thinking about our amazing chefs and delectable dining experiences here in the Ham.

For example, Chef Tom Robey at Veranda on Highland reigns from New Orleans and worked in the Commander’s Palace kitchen. He even brought the Turtle Soup recipe with him. Chef Robey’s culinary repertoire includes Gulf Shrimp served in a traditional Etouffee Sauce with McEwen and Sons Yellow Grits, Seared Veal Tenderloin with Shallot Confit and fresh, flavorful meats – think andouille and boudin! Veranda is also famous for their Sunday brunch – serious yum! They also have a chef’s tasting room upstairs where you can arrange private dinners and even store your favorite wines. And having a dry, classic martini at "Papa's" bar makes you feel like you're in an episode of Mad Men.


Another Birmingham gem is Café Dupont with Chef Chris Dupont. Another chef from New Orleans who also worked at Commander's Palace, but he also had the opportunity to work with Susan Spicer at Maison du Ville. Chef Dupont has a modern, yet Southern take on his dishes and works will local ingredients while adding a hint of his New Orleans background with delicacies such as his Fried Oysters and Eggplant with Cayenne Butter Sauce, Horseradish Crème Fraîche and Soy Glaze. And of course I adore that he is located on Northside to add more dining options to downtown nightlife. I also recommend the Café Dupont bar for happy hour after work as well.
So if ever I'm home sick, I know just where to go to get a taste of New Orleans.

No comments:

Post a Comment