Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler

"Let the good times roll!"

Thursday, January 7, 2010

A day that will live in infamy...


Today is January 7, 2010, the day of the BCS National Championship in which The Crimson Tide will play the Texas Long Horns to determine who the best college football team in the country is. The Tide hasn't been in this position since 1992...today is HUGE for Bama fans and I do believe the whole state of Alabama will be tuning in (even the Auburn fans).

This football season has been absolutely crazy! Being from New Orleans and having graduated from The University of Alabama – both of my teams The Crimson Tide and The Saints were undefeated for most of the season (until The Saints went 13-1 after their lose to Dallas…then to Tampa Bay in OT….then they didn’t even try against Carolina…so now 13-3). My husband is a SERIOUS football fan….he is intense and takes it very seriously and even runs a college football pool, so not just the Alabama game matters each week. So needless to say, my fall social calendar revolved around football games - whether I wanted them to or not.

Now, being raised in New Orleans by Yankee parents didn’t really expose me to football games, parties or weekends. I wasn’t raised in an “LSU” house nor had I ever tailgated for anything. My high school football team stunk and I only went to games to take photos for the yearbook. So when I met my husband-to-be my junior year of high school, he introduced me to the world that is college football. Prior to that, I had no concept of the level of competition or conferences (the SEC was new to my vocabulary) and when I learned that he was going to Alabama for college, I asked if he had heard of Auburn. Yeeeaaahhhh….

So what do I go and do? I decide to go to a large SEC school in on of the biggest football states in the country – where football is a religion. Not only do I spend two years at Auburn University, I decide to transfer to its rival, The University of Alabama – another football-crazed institution. So it is always interesting to see people’s reaction when I tell them I went to both (that was always fun in job interviews in Birmingham where everyone bleeds either crimson or orange & blue). I’ve gotten, “You saw the light,” “You came over from the dark side,” etc., and I’m always asked who I pull for in the Iron Bowl, which is a tough question because it depends on the season.

But I have to say, I don’t think I’ve enjoyed a football season as much as this one and it has been great to see all of the boys hard work pay off. I will be watching the National Championship tonight and rooting for our southern boys (RTR)! But it doesn’t end with tonight; we’ll see how the playoffs go, and who knows maybe I’ll see you in Miami next month. WHO DAT!

No comments:

Post a Comment