Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler

"Let the good times roll!"

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

My Love Affair…That My Husband Knows About


I have to confess…I have an obsession. Well, I guess it is more like a lusty, love affair. Don’t worry, my husband knows all about it – not that he’s exactly thrilled with it, mind you. It’s my love affair with shoes. I hate to fall into the typical female stereotype, but I can’t help it; it’s part of my DNA. I see a pair of platform, 4-6 inch stilettos and I start drooling (who cares that I’m already 5’9 barefoot).

I have many objects of my desire and feel so intimate with them that it’s like we are on a first name basis – there is Christian, Jimmy, Manolo and Sergio – to name a few. But alas, those are like celebrities you know you’ll probably never get to meet. More close to home (like actually in my closet) there is Sam, Donald, Carlos (Santana), Max (Azria), Steve, and even my girls Kristin (Davis) and Jessica (Simpson).

I’m an equal opportunity shoe-lover, but I tend to have a soft spot for patent leather, heels with hardware and the higher the better. And I tend to think that you can tell a lot about a person from their shoes. So what do my shoes say about me? Sharp, confident, somewhat sassy and elegant. I don’t own an insane amount, probably only about 53 pairs give or take and I’ve recently downsized (to accommodate my itty, bitty sardine-can of a closet). But out of the 53 or so I do own, I love each one and try to rotate them fairly. I do have my favorites though and they range from: my Sam Edelman pewter, boa booties and deep purple peep-toe, heeled Marciano booties with a hardware zipper that wraps all the way around; to the luxurious black, suede wrap and tie-around-the-ankle Jaime Mascaró heels from Paris and my cheap, black patent Unlimiteds with red soles (probably my most worn pair).

There are the elite designer shoes that I covet and have made a life goal of mine to own one day. My ultimate desire is a pair of Christian Louboutins. I’m not picky, all of his shoes are gorgeous, but if I had to pick one pair, it would be his “Mirrored Platform Pumps” (also the background of my Twitter page & featured above). But honestly, you could give me any pair of his, even something outrageous like his “Python Boots” and I would probably even sleep in them.

Jimmy Choos and Manolo Blahniks make outstanding footwear as well and you’re sure to turn some heads. You can’t really go wrong with these two, but ever since the hype from SATC, they’ve been über publicized (a slight turn-off for me). But don’t get me wrong, I’d still kill for a pair and rock them like I was Paris Hilton.

Now Sergio Rossi is another story altogether…be still my heart! Sergio really knows how to infuse a pair of shoes with personality. He can take the simplest idea and make it into the most extraordinary design with fascinating aesthetics. With a pair of his shoes, it wouldn’t even matter what you’re wearing with them.

Shoes are always fun to shop for and you can never have enough because they are all so different. And just like any good lover, if you gain 5-10 pounds, they still adore you and you can still shop for them guilt-free – because shoes always fit!
And if I’m going to have a love affair, I’m sure my husband would rather me bring home another pair of shoes than another man.

No comments:

Post a Comment