Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler

"Let the good times roll!"

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Vulcan


"What is a Vulcan?" you may ask...well it is a metal statue atop Red Mountain in Birmingham...with a bare ass. I find this funny as Birmingham is such a conservative town. The dictionary lists:
Vul⋅can
[vuhl-kuh n] –noun - the ancient Roman god of fire and metalworking, identified with the Greek Hephaestus.

So Birmingham has a big, bare-assed Greek God looking down upon its city in honor of its founding industries – steel and iron manufacturing. In fact, the Ham is a rather large manufacturing town. What does this mean to me? Not much. It means that I have to try to explain it to people who come visit me – I just take them up there for the view.

I really am not trying to hate on Birmingham…I’m really not. I’m sure New Orleans has a lot of weird historical aspects that visitors find strange (but most of them originated in the 1800s). I guess Birminghamians might find this strange though: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/photo.php?pid=4369058&id=105457006718
But I was raised with Rodrigue’s Blue Dog and I think it is fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment