Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler

"Let the good times roll!"

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Southern Vernacular

While dining with a few girlfriends the other night (two from Birmingham and one from Montgomery) we got on the topic of expressions and words that I've learned here in Alabama. Like how the British refer to the restroom as "the loo," Alabamians have their own names for things as well. So since living in Alabama, I now have new words and phrases that have been added to my vocabulary - here are a few:

  1. Buggie - instead of grocery cart or shopping cart
  2. Sack - instead of grocery bag or shopping bag
  3. Tag - instead of license plate
  4. Mash - instead of "push" a button
  5. Fixin' to - instead of "about to"
  6. Jankin' with - instead of "messing with" or teasing
  7. Rernt - instead of ruined (found this one quite a stretch)
  8. Huggie - instead of a beer koozie
  9. "A coke" - is any soft drink
  10. "I got a bee in my bonnet" - an expression for getting your mind set on something and having to fulfill the task

    Now, don't get me wrong New Orleanians and "Yats" have their own vernacular as well, but these 10 above we new to me.

3 comments:

  1. What about when you accidentally "tump" it over?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you had to say "coke" for "soft drink" before you left the Big Cheesy for Bama, Gen! In NOLA, when one orders a "soft drink" it always goes something like this...

    Patron: I'll have a coke.
    Waiter: What kind?
    Patron: Sprite.

    **One should also note, the establishment better sell Coke products. It should be illegal to sell Pepsi below the Mason-Dixon.**

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always thought #7 was a real stretch too...although I'm glad to finally know how to spell it.

    ReplyDelete